We’ve all been on the receiving end of “compliments” from prospective romantic partners that we just didn’t want to hear. Maybe they were intrusive about our bodies too soon or they were just plain creepy—either way, they suck. That being said, there are a handful of nice things that I’d actually be happy to hear from a crush—here are just a few.
1. “I FEEL REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH YOU.” I work hard to be someone that people are comfortable around, especially romantic partners. Hearing that a crush feels super comfortable with me means that they also feel good with being vulnerable, which is so important in a budding relationship.
2. “YOU’RE SO INTELLIGENT.” Compliment me on my intelligence and my heart is yours. Okay, maybe not always, but it’s definitely a killer thing to be appreciated for. I hold my intellectual curiosity and knowledge as something very important to me, so it’s wonderful when my crush notices and goes out of their way to compliment it.
3. “I’M LUCKY TO HAVE MET YOU.” This one’s self-explanatory. It’s awesome that they feel blessed to have me in their life. To feel lucky to meet someone is definitely a good sign because it means they appreciate me. It also signals that I’m something special to be cherished. Thank you very much.
4. “YOU’RE A GOOFBALL.” My sense of humor is really important to me. It’s a tool I use to get through life and to connect with others. I get excited when it’s also is something that my lover appreciates. Being able to laugh together is really important, so I’m psyched when they think I’m silly and love having fun.
5. “I LOVE [INSERT UNIQUE ASPECT OF MY PERSONALITY].” I’m my own person and I like different traits about myself. Who I am is really important, so when my crush acknowledges that they like a certain aspect about me, it makes me really happy because they’re actually paying attention to all the little things that make me, me—especially those quirkier parts of me that I let show when I’m more comfortable with someone.